Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bali Part II; Traditional Galungan Festival

Finally June is coming.
This May ought to be the unluckiest month for me (so far and I hope it stop right here); my HTC burned, lost watch, empty wallet and problems that give me headache, literally #FML! As much as I want to calm myself down, but shit just piling up like there's no tomorrow. Hopefully thing will turn better after today.

Back to my business.

As you know, I went to Bali back in February.I wrote about the dinner in Jimbaran Bay a while ago. Balinese people are very well known with their unique cultures, socials and religious. I love how beautiful their dresses are, long black hair, skin, everything! Along with that, I was very impressed by how well the traditions are kept that inherit from their ancestors.

P1060250

During my stay in Bali, I see beautiful "Penjor" swaying in the wind (made from bamboo poles and young coconut fronds) on the street, restaurants/residences entrance, and everywhere!  Later then I found out it was the Galungan festive season, a Balinese holiday of 10 days for every 210-day cycle (Pawukon, Balinese calendar). So after several Q&A sessions with Poppy (non-Balinese) who don't know the details, I decided to do some reading on my own (wikipedia is always your best friend, after Google).

P1060450
Prayers at Tanah Lot, the Sea Temple. 

Galungan marks the beginning of the festive; when the spirits of the ancestors are believed to visit the earth. 
It is a traditional celebration to honour and show their gratitude to the creator of the universe (Ida Sang Hyang Widi) as well as the spirits of the honoured ancestors. 

During Galungan, the Balinese do their prayer by offerings bountiful sacrifices of food and flowers to the ancestral spirits, expressing their gratitude and hopes for protection for the family. Of course, prayers are also offered at almost every spots. Streets, beaches and of course at local temples, which it is always packed with devotees.

P1060203
Prayer at residence. 

P1060198
Adorable little girl with big eyes! 

P1270848

I also saw a performance which is similar to Chinese lion dance on the street every evening on the street, that is actually a ceremony known as "Ngelawang", an exorcism ceremony performed by a "barong" - a divine protector in the form of a mythical beast. Never got the chance to snap a picture for it but I "borrow" one from Google.

ngelawang

It is not a "everyday-thing" that you can see Balinese women dressed-up richly walking on the street. Me absolutely adore it's colourful texture; beautiful.

P1060314


P1060319
Pray for the well-being of body & soul, for prosperity and protection.


During Galungan, the Balinese take the opportunity for visit to local temples with offerings, families, friends, as well as the families who may have helped them in some way over the past six months. Everyone is celebrating the festive with joy!

P1070229
Celebrated by every Balinese Hindus. 

P1070230


P1070228
Offerings are often carried by women on their head.

P1070231


The festive ends with Kuningan (last day of celebration), when the God (spirits of the ancestors) leaves. 

I'm really fascinated by the spirits of the locals on keeping their traditions, never failed doing it for generations; one thing that we need to learn. 



xo loves,
louisexin 

Read more; about.com & wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. I went to their Nyepi day ..... party whole day shooting the festivals float. Next day ban from going out and 7pm turn total SILENT and dark day. lol

    ReplyDelete